There is no place like London~

Time for an update! It has been a really busy few weeks, starting my internship has gone well and being in London has been pretty amazing all in all. Looking for a place to stay has not been easy, and that is something I actually mentally prepared for.

When I first got to London, I had one dear friend with me for first couple of days. It was like a mini-vacation before the internship actually started and my friend also came to some apartment viewings with me. She really helped with taking the edge off of actually moving to London for couple of months, and we did some sightseeing as a tourist should~

Standing in the park in front of Big Ben and the House of Parliament, there were many flowers/cards/other memorial objects placed to the front part of the park to honor the victims of the previous weeks attack.
There it is~

So the internship started a few weeks ago. It was a big change to suddenly start talking in english in a professional environment, But getting more fluent each day is already a big plus and I absolutely love it! The work tasks are also getting easier as me and the other intern are getting more and more practice, meaning we also learn to work faster and more efficiently. Everyone in there is also extremely friendly and it is okay to have some issues with language and grammar doesn't have to be perfect. The others have been there and they don't mind the slightest and help is always there when you ask.

Looking for accommodation has NOT been easy! I mentioned before about going to a few apartment viewings with my friend, I though I had found a place to stay in easily. Oh my I was so wrong. After my friend left and the internship officially started, I lived the first week in a hotel. Nothing fancy, good enough for sleeping in and still being optimistic as I am, I still thought I would find a place easily. One of the previous interns, who was leaving the workplace soon, introduced me to the idea of Facebook groups. After adding me there I found a few more suitable room share options, and sent the post owners some messages. Other users I talked with were not really convincing, but I found one woman who was actually an agent and wanted to show me her options. I agreed and in two days time I met her for a viewing. I booked for one but she had arranged to show me two flat shares that same night, it was a positive surprise that she wanted to help me. As we were talking to the first destination she was all about business. But when we were walking to the other one she loosened up a bit and we actually started to talk about our jobs, dreams and educations. Turns out this amazing woman is actually an actress and just having a break from everything. I, being an artist myself and interested in following that path to somewhere someday, now have connections to people in that field! I never would have thought it's possible! London has brought me so much happiness in such a short time I still can't really believe it.

Switching to Airbnb was a more affordable option when the first week in the hotel and apartment hunting did not give me any results. My host was the greatest I could have had for that situation. He has hosted others like me before, helping those looking for accommodation and knew my situation, giving me more time to stay if needed. He was amazing and through his generosity I had time to focus on finding a more permanent place to stay in.

Ready to go to the City~

Witnessing one of our older interns getting kicked out of her apartment was actually a bit more of a shock than I thought. I do not understand how a person can do something like that to another. Both the old interns did not make a contract and in my eyes that can not be anything good... A binding contract is NECESSARY!!! if you want to have any leverage of the situation in any way. I did talk to the other older interns landlord to rent the room she was staying in, but due to their incapability in presenting me with a real contract (and after wasting a week of my time), my angry e-mail scared them enough and they called it off. Fortunately enough I did find accommodation through that woman I talked about. She has been an amazing help and I would not have gotten far without her. Living now without any true worry about where I will end up is such a relief.

Tower Bridge looking fabulous at night~ Some late night exploring with the other intern and her friend!

Last Monday was quite a rush! After work I had plans to go and see what the Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 premiere was all about. I got to Hammersmith pretty late and was waiting outside, missing everything that happened before, such as the cast arriving and all that. Pretty much all people had already went in, just us without a ticket staying and wishing for a miracle. One woman started handing out extra tickets, I personally never had one because they were practically ripped from her hands. She did say that if she gets more of them she will come and hand them over. I was one of those who stayed since I did not really have anything else to do. I was ready to leave when one kind human being tapped my shoulder and asked me if I wanted to have his ticket and see the movie. I could not actually believe that he was handing me his ticket and shaking with sudden adrenaline I made my way inside the theater. The amount of people there was ridiculous, but I got to see the movie with the cast members. It was just awesome!!

At first I thought it was a premiere, it turned out to be an exclusive screening. Amazing either way!


The front of Eventim Apollo was looking fantastic! Feeling great after the screening!

The man who gave me the ticket, I can't thank him enough. Thank you for this experience! 

My family spent last weekend in Hungary, my little sister had a synchronized swimming competition there so they were staying for a small vacation, so my brother came from there to London last Tuesday. I had to work, but he did enjoy having time to himself. Visiting some bookstores were his favourite~ I had one extra day to take off though and I used that to be with my brother on his birthday. We went to spend it in Oxford. We had some tea and other treats, and just walked around enjoying the historical buildings and some museums. Even if it finally started raining properly (for the first time during my stay), it was a really nice way to spend the day. I got a reason to buy myself a really nice umbrella~ Going and getting back by bus was also really convenient and easy, I would recommend trying it out.

Afternoon tea for two~

The whole city was so beautiful, we loved walking around and seeing the streets.
The contrast of dark skies and historical buildings looked amazing, sadly my phone camera couldn't quite capture it.

And this pretty much sums up my experiences so far. I will be updating again in a few weeks time, I have some friends coming over here and I will not have a dull moment. Thank you for reading~!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ooooooo we're half way there...

A couple more days to go